INDEPENDENT COLLEGES OF WASHINGTON
ESSAY CONTEST SUMMARY
(Full terms follow)
By entering the contest, you are acknowledging these rules and agree to them.
Contest Participants must be 13 years or older, be enrolled and in good-standing at an accredited Washington state high school, college or university and otherwise comply with these Official Rules. Employees of the Sponsor and their family members may not enter.
Prizes: The Winner will choose a prize that is either (1) an Amazon Kindle or $250 deposited in the college bookstore account of the college the Winner is or will be attending in Washington state.
Essays will be judged on the basis of most thorough, substantive and relevant responses regarding ProjectOpportunity.net and provides the most usable feedback for future changes and improvements to website content ("Evaluation Criteria"). The Contest is skill-based and is not based on chance or random drawing. The Sponsor will not evaluate Essays based on whether they contain positive or negative responses regarding ProjectOpportunity.net.
Winner Notification and Eligibility Confirmation : The Sponsor will notify the Winner that their Official Entry Form was selected as the winning Official Entry Form by mail. The notification letter will state that the Winner will be eligible to receive the Prize after the Sponsor confirms their eligibility. The Winner must sign the Affidavit and return it to the Sponsor within ten days of receipt and must fulfill any other requirements established by the Sponsor.
If the Winner is under the age of 18, the Winner's parent or guardian must sign the Affidavit on their behalf.
General Terms & Conditions : Official Entry Forms become the property of the Sponsor, will not be returned and may be destroyed or retained by Sponsor at its discretion. The Sponsor is not responsible for Official Entry Forms not received . The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify, or suspend the Contest, these Official Rules at any time, for any reason deemed appropriate by Sponsor.
Taxes and Prize Substitution : All federal, state and local taxes on the Prize are the sole responsibility of the Winner.
Releases: The Prize will be awarded " AS-IS" without warranty or guarantee beyond that provided by the manufacturer, if any.
Indemnity : You will indemnify the Sponsor and its affiliates for all claims.
Disputes : You agree that all disputes arising out of this Contest will be resolved individually.
ESSAY CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
INDEPENDENT COLLEGES OF WASHINGTON ESSAY CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
1. To Enter: These rules ("Official Rules") apply to you and everyone else who participates ("Participants") in the Essay Contests ("Contest" or "Contests") sponsored by the Independent Colleges of Washington ("Sponsor"). By entering, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules.
Enter the Contests by completing the online survey at ProjectOpportunity.net ("Survey"), including the two essays ("Essays") under the Contest section of the Survey, and checking the appropriate boxes to indicate that you want to participate in the Contests and that you have read and will comply with these Official Rules. All of these responses collectively are your official entry form ("Official Entry Form"). You may only enter once for all the Contests described below.
The Sponsor will hold a new Contest approximately every three months. For each Contest, there is (1) the date that the Sponsor will begin accepting Official Entry Forms ("Opening Date"), (2) the date that the Sponsor will stop accepting Official Entry Forms for a particular Contest ("Closing Date") and (3) the date that the Sponsor will select the Winner ("Selection Date"). The Sponsor may reschedule or cancel any or all Contests at any time. There will be four separate Contests, each with a single Winner. The Opening Date for all Contests is September 15, 2009 . The remaining dates are as follows:
If you submit an Official Entry Form after the closing date for a particular Contest, your Official Entry Form will be considered for the following Contest. All Official Entry Forms must be submitted by the Closing Date for Contest No. 4, June 30, 2010. Any Official Entry Forms submitted after that date will be void.
2. Eligibility to Participate: Contest Participants must be 13 years or older, be enrolled and in good-standing at an accredited Washington state high school, college or university and otherwise comply with these Official Rules. Employees of the Sponsor and their family members may not enter. Void where and to the extent prohibited. All applicable laws and regulations apply to this Contest, and you agree to comply with them. You understand that Sponsor may request documents from you to verify your eligibility and will make enquiries at your high school, college or university to verify enrollment. You agree to cooperate fully with this process and provide related information upon Sponsor's request.
3. Prizes: The Winner will choose a prize ("Prize") that is either (1) an Amazon Kindle (with an approximate value of $260 or (2) $250 deposited in the college bookstore account ("Book Scholarship") of the college the Winner is or will be attending in Washington state. The Book Scholarship is not available for students attending college outside Washington state. If the Winner is not yet in college and chooses the $250 Book Scholarship, the Book Scholarship funds will remain in a Sponsor account until the Winner enters college and the Sponsor verifies enrollment. At that point, the Sponsor will deposit the Book Scholarship funds with the Winner's college bookstore account. It is the Winner's responsibility to inform Sponsor that Winner has entered college in Washington state and to supply proof of enrollment to Sponsor. If the Winner elects the Book Scholarship but does not enter a college in Washington state, the Winner waives the right to receive a Prize. Sponsor reserves the right to change the Prize at any time.
4. Judging, Essay Criteria and Winner Selection: The Sponsor will select one Winner for each Contest based on which of the Official Entry Forms contains Essays with the most thorough, substantive and relevant responses regarding ProjectOpportunity.net and provides the most usable feedback for future changes and improvements to website content ("Evaluation Criteria"). The Contest is skill-based and is not based on chance or random drawing. The Sponsor will not evaluate Essays based on whether they contain positive or negative responses regarding ProjectOpportunity.net. Official Entry Forms that are incomplete or contain expletives, inappropriate language or irrelevant comments will be disqualified. As part of their evaluations, the judges will make a determination of whether the Official Entry Form and the Winner meet the requirements of these Official Rules.
The Sponsor will begin the Essay judging process after the Closing Date. A panel selected by the Sponsor will judge the Essays and select a Winner on the Selection Date based on the Evaluation Criteria. Only panel members may be present for the judging process.
5. Winner Notification and Eligibility Confirmation : The Sponsor will notify the Winner that their Official Entry Form was selected as the winning Official Entry Form by mail within one week of the Selection Date. The notification letter will state that the Winner will be eligible to receive the Prize after the Sponsor confirms their eligibility. The notification letter will contain an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability and Publicity ("Affidavit"). The Winner must sign the Affidavit and return it to the Sponsor within ten days of receipt and must fulfill any other requirements established by the Sponsor.
The Winner is not eligible to receive the Prize until (1) Winner returns a completed Affidavit to Sponsor, (2) Sponsor has verified that the Affidavit complies with these Official Rules and that the Winner is otherwise eligible to participate in the Contest, and (3) Sponsor verifies that Winner's Official Entry Form complies with the Official Rules. If the Winner is under the age of 18, the Winner's parent or guardian must sign the Affidavit on their behalf. The Winner must cooperate with the verification process, including compliance with Sponsor requests. The Sponsor's decisions regarding eligibility are final and binding.
After the Winner has returned the Affidavit to the Sponsor, and the Sponsor determines that the Winner has met the above requirements, the Sponsor will notify the Winner that they are eligible for the Prize and make arrangements for delivering the Prize to the Winner. In the case of the Amazon Kindle, Sponsor will ship the Prize to the Winner at Sponsor's cost. In the case of the Book Scholarship, the Sponsor will deliver the Prize by making the appropriate arrangements with the Winner's college bookstore or (if delivery is delayed because the Winner is not in college) by delivering a letter to the Winner saying that the Prize will be available once the Winner has entered college. The Winner may not transfer the right to receive the Prize.
If a Winner does not meet the eligibility requirements, cannot be contacted, does not respond within the notification period, fails to sign and return the Affidavit in a timely manner or refuses to comply with the Official Rules or Sponsor requests, the Winner is not eligible to receive the Prize. If the Sponsor cannot award a Prize to a particular Winner, the Sponsor will select an alternate Winner by repeating the judging process from among all remaining eligible Official Entry Forms. The Sponsor will repeat this procedure for up to three alternate drawings, until an eligible Winner is selected and the Prize is awarded. If there is no eligible Winner after the three alternate drawings, the Prize will remain un-awarded, and the Contest will end. The Sponsor has the right to reverse its determination that the Winner meets the requirements of the Official Rules for good cause, such as if the Winner engages in activities that brings the Sponsor or this Contest into disrepute. After the Winner is selected, the Sponsor will retain the remaining eligible Official Entry Forms as entries for future Contest selections.
To receive the name of the Winner, to request to receive no future sweepstakes or skill contests materials from the Sponsor, or to make enquiries about this Contest, send your request with a self-addressed stamped envelope to Sponsor at: Attn: Contest Administrator, 600 Stewart Street, Suite 600, Seattle, Washington, 98101.
6. General Terms & Conditions : Official Entry Forms become the property of the Sponsor, will not be returned and may be destroyed or retained by Sponsor at its discretion. The Sponsor is not responsible for Official Entry Forms not received due to lost, failed, delayed or interrupted delivery, or miscommunications, to other malfunctions or errors. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify, or suspend the Contest for any reason, including but not limited to situations that affect the administration, security or proper operation of the Contest. The Sponsor reserves the right to modify, clarify or waive part of these Official Rules at any time, for any reason deemed appropriate by Sponsor, including in the event of any situation that, in the opinion of the Sponsor, threatens the fairness or integrity of the Contest.
Decisions of the Sponsor are final in all matters relating to the Contest, including interpretation of these Official Rules. The Sponsor may disqualify you for good cause, including for your failure to comply with these Official Rules or for any acts by you that embarrass the Sponsor or reflect poorly on the Sponsor. You certify that all information that you have provided and will provide in connection with the Contest and these Official Rules is true. Any attempt to defraud the Sponsor will result in your disqualification and potential prosecution to the full extent of the law. These Official Rules and your associated waivers and duties under these Official Rules survive the conclusion of the particular Contest in which you participate.
7. Taxes and Prize Substitution : All federal, state and local taxes on the Prize are the sole responsibility of the Winner. Applicable laws may require the Sponsor to prepare tax forms in connection with the Prize. The Winner agrees to cooperate fully with the Sponsor (including but not limited to making payments to applicable government entities or providing information to the Sponsor that is necessary to complete relevant tax forms). You may not assign your rights or duties under these Official Rules. No substitutions or cash alternatives are available, except that the Sponsor may substitute a Prize of equal or greater value should the Prize become unavailable.
8. Releases: The Prize will be awarded " AS-IS" without warranty or guarantee beyond that provided by the manufacturer, if any. The Sponsor, Amazon and their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (collectively the "Released Parties") are not responsible for any losses, damages (including direct, consequential and punitive), rights, claims or causes of action ("Damages") of any kind, arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly from the Contest, including but not limited to Damages arising out of: (1)your participation in the Contest, (2)your acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of the Prize, (3) claims based on publicity rights, defamation, and/or invasion of privacy, (4) any inaccurate information, (5) error that may occur in the administration of the Contest or (6)any injury or damage to persons or property that is related to your participation in the Contest. You waive all rights to claim Damages against the Released Parties. Your sole remedy for any alleged injury is that the Sponsor, in its discretion, may provide you with an additional Official Entry Form for the next Contest.
9. Indemnity : You will indemnify the Sponsor and its affiliates, successors, and assigns, and each of their respective directors, officers, employees, and agents (each, an "Indemnitee") for all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, injuries, demands, actions, causes of action, suits, proceedings, judgments, and expenses, including, without limitation, attorneys' fees, court costs and other legal expenses to the extent arising from, connected with, or attributable to your negligence, willful misconduct, breach of these Official Rules or participation in the Contest. You will give the Indemnitee prompt written notice of any claim or potential claim that may affect the Indemnitee of which you have knowledge. Indemnitees will have the right to exercise control over any litigation involving third party claims, including the right to retain counsel and defend themselves as the Indemnitees deem appropriate at your cost.
10. Disputes : You agree that all disputes arising out of this Contest will be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively in the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington or in the Washington state courts in King County . Disputes will be governed by the laws of Washington , without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Washington.